Q. Which Equi-Trek trailer can I tow with my car?

Before towing it is essential you check you towing vehicle is legally capable of towing your chosen trailer and horses. Calculate the weight of your horse then add this to the unladen weight of your chosen trailer. Then check your car manufacturer’s handbook for your car’s maximum braked towing weight. The total laden weight of your trailer should not exceed your car’s maximum towing weight. Do not forget you may also want to carry feed and tack in your trailer too which will increase its weight. If you exceed your car’s maximum towing weight you risk a fine or invalidating your insurance in the event of an accident.

Q I passed my driving test after January 1st 1997. Which Equi-Trek horsebox can I drive?

The Equi-Trek Sonic horsebox can be driven by anyone aged 17 or over on a standard licence but you would need to take an additional test to drive our other horseboxes. If you need living why not consider  the Sonic Five which has extra cab seats which convert to bunks, or the Trek-Away trailer which provides comfortable and spacious living and can be towed with a Sonic horsebox on a standard car licence.

Q. Do horses travel facing backwards in all the Equi-Trek range of trailers and horseboxes?

In the majority of our trailer range the horses face backwards with the exception of the Trail Treka (forward facing), Multi-Treka and Carriage Treka (herringbone).  All of the small horsebox range (Sonic, Super Sonic, Victory & Valiant) are side loading, rear facing. The larger horseboxes from 7.5ton upwards are all rear loading, with the horses travelling herringbone.

Q. How old are the chassis that the horseboxes are built on?

All Equi-Treks are built onto brand new, unregistered chassis, with a full manufacturers warranty.

Q. How can I pay for my new horsebox?

Equi-Trek Tregaron welcome payment by debit or credit card, and can also help with flexible finance arrangements.


Driver Licensing

Licensing rules can be a confusing subject when choosing a horsebox or trailer, so we have provided the following information to help you:


If you obtained your driving licence before 1st January 1997 you are entitled to drive a vehicle or a vehicle and trailer combination with a MAM (Maximum Authorised Mass – also known as the Gross Vehicle Weight) of up to 8250kg (8.25 tonnes). This covers all of our Equi-Trek trailers, small horsebox range and the 7.5ton “Endeavour” model.


If you obtained your full driving licence on or after this date you are entitled to drive a vehicle with a MAM of up to 3500kgs (3.5 tonnes) but you will need to take an additional test to allow you to drive vehicles with a MAM of more than this.

This means you are usually entitled to drive our Equi-Trek Sonic or Equi-Trek Sonic 5 but would need to take an additional test to drive horseboxes from the rest of our range.

With regards to towing – you are entitled to drive a vehicle with a MAM of up to 3500kgs with a trailer of up to 750kgs (e.g. the Equi-Trek Trek Away).

If the MAM (or gross vehicle weight) of your trailer exceeds the unladed weight of your towing vehicle, you will be required to pass the extra test giving you category B+E entitlement.


You will need to pass a practical trailer towing test in addition to your normal driving test. You are eligible to take this at the age of 17 and you must first hold your full car driving licence.

The test, based on the HGV driving test, will take around a hour and includes demonstrating reversing skills with a trailer and connecting and disconnecting the trailer.

For more information on licensing laws, see http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/CaravansTrailersCommercialVehicles

For information on MAMs for your particular vehicle, check your vehicle manufacturer’s handbook.

Contact Us

s1s1 s1

New & Used Sales
Simon Crowe (Tregaron)
Bruce Lawrence (Hereford)

Tel/Fax: (0845) 834 0112


The Finance Team

(To ensure our best attention, showroom visitors by appointment only please)